Monday, December 19, 2005

Driving in Big Apple at Times Square!!!!



Hi there,

Last few days, I was only on the wheels!! I must have driven around 300 miles and allover the place... I know its not more when you compare the roadtrips during weekends but if these 300 miles are in the city then you better be careful!!

Gautam and Navneeta are going to India to get married and it called for a friday night party. The party was at Hooters and then to one of the discos. Since, I dont drink I was one of the designated driver for the night! With X-Mas shopping spree the roads were more than congested but anyway it was fun driving. We returned late in the night around 1pm. I went to drop Manish to his house. I was not sure why didn't he come in his own car. Man! He always have some manipulations up his sleeves. anyway, I was happy as I carefully drove 4 high spirited souls - Pawan, Abhishek Shah, Manish and myself back home.

Saturday afternoon went away sleeping on the couch and drinking tea. In afternoon I had to go to Office to find that the whole building has power outage. Who says power outage is characteristic of only developing countries! The building where I work is the corporate world headquarter of Engelhard Corp, a fortune 500 company!

Saturday evening, I went to Newark Airport to receive Jaidev. He has returned from India after a long vacation. Well the whole evening went away at the airport as we had to help another TCSer to change the terminal for a connecting flight to Florida. Instead of steering my car, I was busy steering the luggage cart of JD. Few more hours on the wheels!!!

Our bad luck, JD's return flight was next day morning at 7:10 a.m. Hence I need to to get up at early morning around 5:00 am. Again I had to drive from my house to airport and back. More time on the wheels.

This wasn't the end of me being constantly on the wheels... Later in the afternoon, LD and myself decided to clean the house. and well i took the responsibility of steering the vacuum cleaner across our two bedroom and a grand central hall. Done with it around 3:00pm. I took the bath and started for Abhishek Roy's house in East Windsor. On my way I dropped LD and Irfan to Shop Rite Movie Complex. Abhishek's house was 40 minutes drive. We moved old mattress and other stuff to thrash dumpster outside there colony. that added another mile on the wheels. then around 7:00 pm we started for NYC, the Big Apple.

This will be my first drive to NYC. I was very very very nervous. Anybody who is aware of the chaotic traffic on the streets of NYC can feel my nervousness, if he is also driving for the first time. As always Roy tried to boost up my confidence by saying that it wont be tough and its pretty easy once i am on the correct lane. Keeping my fingers crossed and gathering all the confidence I drove continously for another hour on NJTPK (NJ Turnpike) and crossed the Lincoln Tunnel.

Woooooooops. I am on the 42nd street of NYC. Heart of manhattan. Lights are glowing. Crowd and Visitors walking along the streets. Shoppers are still packing their bags with X-Mas Gifts. Tour buses are packed with all colors and creed of people. A year back I used to be one of them. Belive me it was a different feeling being on the other side of the road. It was more different being on the HOT SEAT of the Car. That also, when the car being driven is your first car. I couldn't belive that I was driving on the times square..................... well some realities look and feel like dreams. it was one of them.

Abhi has moved to Tudor City, the last building on the 42nd street. Right across the street was the UN's headquarter. After shifting the luggage, both of us came down stairs for a stroll. Another unforgettful moment. River Hudson is flowing just a stone throw away. UN the headquarter is few steps away. Times Square is 5 minutes away but you can see the dazzling lights and colorful crowd from there itself. Sky is clear and one can literally count the stars. I want to reach there!!!!!!

Well decided, if I am coming back to US for work then it has to be NYC. I don't mind being on bench for a month but it will be only NYC.

TO FETCH STARS, ONE HAS TO BE NEAR THEM!!!!! I AM COMING BIG APPLE!

No comments: